Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Living The Low Carb Life, Diabetes and PCOS- Style

So, the first thing you need to know about me is that I am a little "off", physically. I always have been. My temperature runs a little cold, my blood sugar uptake curve was always a little "sloppy", my periods never come on a regular schedule. Ever since I was a small child, I have vexed the medical community with my irregularity. Then, in my 20's, someone finally put a name to it- PCOS, or Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. According to youngwomenshealth.com, PCOS is common- nearly 1 in 10 women have it, but you would never know that by talking to doctors. I felt like a space alien when I tried to tell them what was happening with my body.

When I turned black and gained 40 pounds in four months after starting Depo Provera in my early twenties, I figured that might be a good sign something was amiss.

 No one really seemed that freaked out.

When I had a 33-hour labor and delivery with my son, I kinda figured someone would be like, "Wow! That sure isn't normal- not even for PCOS. Let's run some tests!"

Nah.

When my gestational diabetes didn't immediately abate after the birth of my son, I told my doctor I thought I was still having blood sugar issues. He asked me if I was depressed. I told him to bite me, and to give me a glucose tolerance test. He did. I was borderline. Any treatment? Any meds?

No way. Just, "Cut down on the sugary stuff, and get tested regularly"

See where this is headed? In April of this year, my fasting glucose was 165 at my yearly check, and my A1C was 7.3. I had officially arrived.

In truth, I think I've really been diabetic forever. They just can't deny it now. I'm sure I probably have microvascular damage from years of periodic high glucose, but that's a rant for another day. Because today, I'm going to tell you how I cleaned up, straightened up, and found Jesus (if "Jesus" is a metaphor for normal glucose levels) with virtually NO help from the medical community.

My last A1C was 5.1. I've lost over 40 pounds. I've never had a fasting glucose over 90-something since last spring. My only official "medical intervention" is a 500 mg Metformin extended release taken with my dinner meal.

How did I do this? I stopped ignoring my body. I started listening to it, and not everybody else.

What worked for me may not work for you. But something will. Something will help if you are struggling with PCOS. Just don't expect the doctors to do it for you.

What works for me-

1. Carb restriction. I eat as few carbs as possible per meal. I don't count religiously, but  I do eyeball, and I've cut out big offenders like white sugar, flour, potatoes and rice. I just don't eat them in any meaningful quantities any more.

2. Low Glycemic Index. The carbs I DO eat tend to be low GI foods. And even then, I watch portions.

3. Smaller, more frequent meals. I eat three meals and two snacks. I eat this pretty much every day.

4. Protein with every meal. When I eat protein, wonderful things happen. I feel fuller longer. I have more energy. My glucose doesn't spike.

5. Regular mini spurts of exercise. This is really the thing that does it the most. About an hour after I eat, I jog in place two hundred steps, and do some arm weight repetitions. I try really hard to do this consistently, because believe it or not, even that piddly amount of exercise drops my glucose like a ROCK. Like an average of ten points. Wanna drop more? Jog some more steps. It is really that easy.

Some other things that seem to help- chamomile tea/a glass of red wine after dinner/cinnamon pills/ more general exercise. None of these would do it alone, but they help edge me down if I'm getting a little higher than I like.

How high do I like? Not very. As it turns out, the American Diabetes Association healthy benchmarks might not be all that healthy. As a rule, I want my preprandial readings in the 80's or 90's, and my two hour posts below 120. I really like my posts under 110. Also, I try never to go over 140, because that is where damage begins. My fasting is usually in the 80's. Yes, I occasionally get into the 70's/60's, but that's not my norm. I really "live" in the 80's and 90's most of the time, and given everything I've read, that's pretty good.

I'll talk about the "whys" later, but if you can tolerate Metformin well, I suggest it as the go-to medicine if you have PCOS- even if you aren't showing as diabetic.

So that's it, in a nutshell. I'll elaborate more later. But let me close with just one more thought-

Whatever is going on with your body, know you are not "wrong" or "bad" or "unhealthy". Let all of that go. You are living your life the best you can, given your circumstances. Every decision is cost/benefit analysis. Sometimes your figures are skewed by factors that are very hard to control.

If you have Diabetes, it is NOT because you are fat/lazy/weak-willed. If you have success with a regimen, and then it stops working, you have not "failed". Diabetes is tricky, and it progresses. You just have to try to stay in front of it.

Haters gonna hate. As for the rest of us, we're going to get on with our lives.






No comments:

Post a Comment